Our first event of 2021 will be the “Centre of the Universe 50 km” – a totally unique ultramarathon where you decide the start point (as long as it is outside of a designated 50 KM zone) and you finish up at the “Centre of the Universe” otherwise know as Hackney Wick in East London.
Centre of the Universe 50 KM FAQ:
WHAT ON EARTH! is the “Centre of the Universe Ultra” – The concept is simple. We draw a map that is 50 KM as the crow flies from our end point in Hackney. As a team of 2 or an individual you choose where you want to start from ‘outside of the ring’. You will have a tracker that we supply and a start time and your mission is to cover ‘at least 50 KM’ as fast as possible.
There will be 9 hour cutoff for this ultra which also means that as well as prizes for the fastest Male/Female and Teams there will be a very special prize for the furthest distance covered inside of the 9 hours. So the challenge is set but which one will you choose – Run your first ultramarathon distance or run your fastest 50 KM or complete the furthest ‘point-to-point’ distance whilst keeping inside the 9 hours.
As you can imagine in the lockdown prone world that we are living in this is the closest that you may come to a “fool-proof” ultra race format!
1. How can I sign up? – You can enter all Camino Ultra events through our partner Race Director https://www.racedirector.co.uk/events
2. Can I walk this race? There are cut-offs for all our events (mainly because we hire the venues and we need to keep to strict times for our licences) So whilst you will definitely be able to walk sections of our ultra events they are not suitable for pure walkers
3. This is my first race – what happens if I don’t finish? One of the great things about our events are the accessibility of easy public transport. You are never too far from a bus or train station – dare say that a taxi could be called out to most places too.
4. Is there any mandatory kit? For Camino events the answer will mostly be no. However please do read any emails that are shared or community/social media posts – especially ones that may be helpful around weather warnings.
5. This is my first Ultra – what do I need to consider that I may not have done for a road marathon? Probably the biggest impact will be the amount of food/hydration that you may need. We have some unique ideas for this Centre of the Universe ultra regarding the nutrition we will be looking to get you but you will need to factor this in to your run route. We can help you with some advice.
6. Is there a question 6? We are expecting many wonderful questions for this unique event – so please send them to us at [email protected] and we will continually update these FAQs and our channels.