Last updated: 19-Jul-18
By Elsa Trujillo
For the 2016 edition, 727 participants gathered at Kaprun in the Austrian state of Salzburg on the 22nd of July to take part in the three mountain running events programmed. An international event, this year mountain trail runners from 31 countries took part some from such far flung places as Japan or El Salvador.
The Grossglockner Ultra Trail (110km), now in its second edition, saw two Austrian winners cross the finish line together, Florian Grasel and Gerald Fister, to a new course record: 15h 13m 36s. The fastest woman was the Swede Kristin Berglund. The total number of participants in this event, which has a cut-off of 29 hours and a total ascent of 6500m, were 23 women and 205 men.
As a result of runner feedback from the 2015 edition, some changes were implemented to the course which departed Kaprun from Salzburger Platz at midnight towards the village of Kals and then on towards the Kaprun Törls, the Moserboden reservoir and back. To guarantee the safety of all runners there were 250 mountain rescue marshals from the neighbouring towns plus 50 volunteers attending the six aid stations along the route. Runners were also followed via the live tracking application Tractalis.
The 50K sister event has a total altitude of 2000m and for the 2016 edition 67 women and 243 men gathered at its start line at Kals to end the race in Kaprun. The cut-off for this ultra is 11hours.
A UTMB qualifier, runners who finished the Grossglockner Ultra Trail obtained five points and the finishers of the sister event, the Grossglockner Trail obtained three points.
GGUT 110 KM – Men
1. Gerald Fister (AUT, Trailcondor by BOSCO) – 15.13.36
1. Florian Grasel (AUT, Sharxx Alpine Team) – 15.13.36
3. Andreas Trockner (AUT, Salomon Running Team) – 15.44.23
GGUT 110 KM – Women
1. Kristin Berglund (SWE, Salomon Running Team) – 18.43.07
2. Katia Fori (ITA, Team Tecnica) – 19.01.13
3. Katrin Grieger (GER) – 19.44.56
GT 50 KM – Men
1. Markus Stock (AUT, Dynafit) – 4.48.21
2. Gediminas Grinius (LTU, Team Vibram) – 4.50.23
3. Michael Kabicher (AUT, Boa Closure System) – 4.53.20
GT 50 KM – Women
1. Sandra Koblmüller (AUT, Salomon Running Team) – 5.42.25
2. Rosanna Buchauer (AUT, Dynafit) – 6.14.50
3. Evelyne Lachner (AUT, Dynafit) – 6:18.19